Have you ever noticed how some of the simplest things in life are also the best? The simple joy of kicking back in a lawn chair on a sunny summer day with a small group of friends, gathering for a casual backyard BBQ, and the simplicity of a recipe made with minimal ingredients, fresh flavours and love. For me this is the epitome of summer and fall entertaining.
And nothing says summer or a warm day like a frozen treat. With stifling temps and humidity, what’s more uplifting than to finish off a meal with something cold to refresh and revive yourself. Simultaneously light, decadent, icy, crunchy, melty, sweet and tart – one frozen treat, in particular, comes to mind. Its the perfect finish to cleanse the palette and have something sweet without a heavy ending.
Granita is one of the easiest desserts going. So easy in fact, Epicurious claims you don’t even need a recipe! Only 3 ingredients and 3 tools are needed to make this Italian delight – fruit, sugar, acid and a blender, a pan, and a fork. Oh yes, and a freezer!
By putting a twist on a classic and using Kombucha in the recipe, not only does this granita have an extra bright flavour to cut through the heaviness of BBQ, but the probiotic benefits will also act as a bonus digestive aid and leave you and your guests feeling energized. Maybe even enough so that they will help you with clean up! Simply, a-maz-ing.
So here’s what you will need:
- 4 cups chopped watermelon
- 1/4 cup kombucha
- zest of 1 lime
- juice of 1/2 lime
- 1/4 cup sugar
- sprinkle sea salt (optional)
- 9×13 pan (metal is recommended for the fasted freezing time)
- fork (for fluffing)
- For faster prep time, pop your pan in the freezer ahead of time.
- Place fruit, kombucha, lime, sugar, and salt in a blender and blend on High until liquified.
- Pour into pan and return to the freezer for 30-40min.
- Remove pan from freezer and scrape up the frozen bits, “fluffing” with a fork to remove any large frozen chunk.
- Return to the freezer and repeat this process every 30-40min until all the juice has been fluffed into frozen flakes.
- Serve immediately or cover if you plan to store it.
- Serves 4-6.